Monday, March 4, 2013

New Tires.

85,822 miles.

Capitol Expressway Ford in San Jose.

I have been putting this off for a while, probably a full year actually. So this time I decided to go for it and get new tires. They were bald in the back, and nearly so in the front. Seriously, I probably got an extra year out of those tires.

I went with the Michelin Latitude Tour tires, P235/70R16, rated for 65k miles. Price was $172 per tire, plus $40 for balancing/etc, minus a $70 rebate from Ford. In the past I've been very pleased with the service from America's Tire, and have bought tires there for several vehicles. I checked their price online for the Michelins and it was a little cheaper, but the $70 rebate from Ford made their total price better.

America's Tire said total "out the door" price for the four tires: $765.62. I paid $841.37, but also got an oil change ($40) and a promised $70 rebate from Ford. Subtracting off those I end up with $731.37, cheaper and more convenient, since I was already in the Ford dealership's comfy chairs and AC, and was surfing on their wifi. Not bad.

My initial thoughts on the new tires are positive; the ride is noticeably softer and I think they are quieter on the freeway. These could be because I was running the old tires at 40PSI though; I haven't checked the pressure in the new tires yet. When I get a chance I'll up them to 40PSI as well, and see how they run.

1 comment:

  1. Just received the $70 rebate check in the mail from Ford.

    ReplyDelete