Sunday, June 19, 2011

38.12 MPG

360.8 mi, 9.464 gal @ $3.859 = 38.12 MPG

62,195 total miles. TA Travelcenter in Buttonwillow off of I-5.

Much of this tank was driving north on I-5 through LA and was accompanied by plenty of traffic and slower speeds, which definitely makes the MPG go up. Early on in our weekend trip to SD the onboard computer's average bumped up to 37.8 MPG, and it stayed there the entire trip.

In college I drove back and forth between San Jose and San Diego many times in my old Volvo 240 wagon. My fuel efficiency typically ranged from 18 to 22 MPG, and only once did I get more than 300 miles on a tank. I usually stopped twice for gas and/or food. Surprisingly the Escape can carry about the same amount of stuff but gets nearly double the miles per gallon (of course gas prices have nearly doubled since then too, so I guess I'm about even overall). It's really nice to be able to do the entire trip on one tank of gas! This time through I noticed that the prices at some of the stations in the middle of nowhere were over $5 a gallon! I was glad that we had plenty in the tank and were not forced into one of those options.

No comments:

Post a Comment