Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The Dreaded Yellow Wrench.

UPDATE : My "fix" described below was not successful in avoiding the yellow wrench; to really fix it you need to replace the actuator. But the steps are as described.


I've been getting the yellow wrench light sporadically for the past few months. Several times I was able to pull over, turn the car off and then back on, and it didn't return (during that trip) so I assumed it wasn't urgent. I did call the local Ford dealer and they suggested I bring it in as soon as possible to get checked out; "It's likely just the blend door actuator but you never know what could go wrong with those hybrid systems." He wasn't able to give me a verbal estimate of what it would cost to diagnose (I didn't like this), and acted concerned when I told him that it was not under warranty. I figured (as he did) that it was probably an issue with the actuator motor for the rear battery AC vents. I noticed that the light was most prone to come on when I was doing a lot of low speed driving in full electric mode, such as in stop-and-go traffic.

The hybrid Escape has a battery pack in the rear of the car that gets warm with use. To keep it cool there is a special AC system fitted in the left rear of the vehicle. Just like the main AC system, there are two modes: "recirculate" or "fresh-air". Most of the time the system recirculates the air inside the system, but occasionally it wants to open the vent and get some new air in from outside. That's where the blend door actuator motor comes in.

It's pretty easy to pull off the rear trim to get to the battery AC system, but getting the motor itself off is a real pain. There are three 5.5mm screws holding it in, and one of them is nearly impossible to remove. You can see two of the screws in the picture here; when reinstalling the motor I only put in the easy two screws, in case I ever need to get in there again.

Here's a diagram showing all the little bits you'll need to remove to get access to the motor. It's actually not as hard as it might look.

After removing the motor I decided to pop it open. It's actually pretty simple inside: a DC motor, some reduction gears, and some carbon tracks with a wiper used as a potentiometer or variable resistor so the controller can tell where the motor is (open/closed/in motion/etc). I didn't see anything obviously wrong with it. I was particularly interested in the two small clips that the motor lugs press into to allow easy assembly. However, I noticed that when the motor was in place in these clips it wiggled slightly and it looked to me like it might lose contact with the clips. Just to be sure I installed the motor and soldered the lugs to the clips. I also wiped off the wiper tracks with a Q-tip and some rubbing alcohol.

It snapped back together easily and I reinstalled it (minus the third screw). You'll notice on the outside of the motor there is an arrow pointing to the shaft, and there is a flat spot on the shaft that lines up with this arrow. When you reinstall the motor the doors will not be shut, nor will they be open all the way. They will be in the middle of their travel. Usually the doors are shut. When you turn the car back on it will reset the door to the right position.

I haven't seen the wrench light since (one month so far) but I'll let you know if it ever comes back.

Finally, here's the text from the related Ford TSB (technical service bulletin). The last step mentions recalibrating the battery module, which I am not able to do, but it is not required.


TSB
07-25-12
WRENCH LIGHT ON - DTC B1239
Publication Date: December 7, 2007
FORD:
2005-2008 Escape Hybrid
MERCURY:
2006-2008 Mariner Hybrid
ISSUE:

Some 2005-2008 Escape Hybrid and 2006-2008 Mariner Hybrid vehicles may exhibit a wrench light on with DTC B1239. This may or may not be accompanied by driveability symptoms including reduced power.
ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
SERVICE PROCEDURE

Replace the Traction Battery Auxiliary Mode Door Actuator.
Remove the left hand D-pillar trim panel. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 501-05.
Remove the four (4) battery airflow duct screws, the one (1) pin-type retainer and remove the battery airflow duct assembly.
Remove the two (2) auxiliary climate control fresh air inlet duct nuts and remove the duct.
NOTE: THE D-PILLAR BRACKET WILL REMAIN IN PLACE.
Remove two (2) upper climate control housing bolts and two (2) lower climate control housing nuts.
Position the climate control housing to gain access to the auxiliary mode door actuator.
Disconnect the auxiliary mode door actuator electrical connector.
Remove the auxiliary airflow mode door actuator screws.
Remove and replace the auxiliary airflow mode door actuator. Inspect actuator for free movement from any obstructions including the wiring harness.
Install the auxiliary airflow mode door actuator screws. Tighten to 18 lb-in (2 N-m).
NOTE: THE AUXILIARY CLIMATE CONTROL HOUSING MUST BE INSTALLED BEHIND THE LOWER PORTION OF THE D-PILLAR BRACKET. WHEN INSTALLED CORRECTLY, THE AUXILIARY CLIMATE CONTROL HOUSING BOLT WILL GO THROUGH THE D-PILLAR BRACKET FIRST, THEN THROUGH THE HOUSING MOUNTING LOCATION.
Connect auxiliary mode door actuator electrical connector and position back the climate control housing.
Install two (2) upper climate control housing bolts. Tighten to 62 lb-in (7 N-m).
Install two (2) lower climate control housing nuts. Tighten to 53 lb-in (6 N-m).
Install the auxiliary climate control fresh air inlet duct and tighten nuts to 62 lb-in (7 N-m).
Install the battery airflow duct assembly, pne (1) pin-type retainer and the four (4) screws. Tighten to 18 lb-in (2 N-m).
Install the left hand D-pillar trim panel. Refer to WSM, Section 501-05.
Reprogram the Traction Battery Control Module (TBCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release B52.5 and higher with Patch 7. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2007.11 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
8L8Z-19E616-E Auxiliary Mode Door Actuator


7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great site!

    I think I might have to do this repair. What about the last step - reprogramming the TCBM? Did you do that and if so, how?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Todd - I didn't do that step, as I'm not sure what it entails or if it's really that important.

      Also, I thought I'd fixed the problem by opening and cleaning the actuator, but after replacing both front AC actuators recently I now think that the parts may have been defective, rather than broken or dirty. I have recently seen the yellow wrench again, and have a new actuator for the rear battery venting that I'll be installing one of these days.

      The good news is that once you get the screws out or loose, you don't have to remove the whole air intake etc. If you leave out the 3rd screw way in the back you can change the actuator fairly easily in the future (should you ever need to).

      Delete
  3. Hi. I'm having the same issue with my '07 Escape Hybrid. My Service Advisor told me the car wants a 'Fan Kit' and the 'Blend Door'. He quoted me $330 for parts and $1275 for labor and told me it's NOT covered by the warrenty.

    I'm currently working the system to protest/change that. Please allow me to post my experience here.

    Here is my approach:

    Always be nice and do NOT argue directly with the person on the phone. NEVER say "you" or "you guys" to refer to the FORD corporation or anyone who did anything bad. ALWAYS identify the bad-guy as a person who is not on the phone. Example: "When I bought it, my *salesman* told me 'all the hybrid unique components are covered by an extended warranty'" or "Does *FORD* intend to stand behind their product or not?"

    The service advisor refered me to Ford Customer Service at 1-800-395-FORD. I did the phone tree and got a woman who read me the Warrenty Guide which was titled "Hybrid Unique Components". In the fine print it listed the parts covered: "Battery, Electric Motor, Continuously Variable Transmission" (and maybe a couple of other things)

    The list did not include every little support component, which is why the dealer is saying it's not covered.

    I politely took the following positions:

    1: The salesman told me about the "Hybrid Unique Components" warrenty when I bought the car, but didn't read me the fine print, so I reasonably assumed, based on the title, that it covered all the unique components for the hybrid.

    2: The battery, as a system, is malfunctioning. Surely the battery warrenty covers the whole battery and not just the individual cells. If a connector burned up that would be covered, right? The warrenty doesn't need to list every screw, bracket and connector that makes up the battery to be understood to be included. The failed components are cooling components for the battery and are thus part of the battery system.

    3: I'm an early adopter. I paid cash for the car to help support Ford's hybrid development. This is exactly where we would expect glitches to occur in a new design. I'm not mad that it happeneed & I still like the car. (My goodwill is valuable to them, so I gave them a warranty on it....)

    4: I'm happy to work with Ford to understand and fix this problem. I want Ford to work with me. But I do NOT think it's appropriate for FORD to make a profit off of fixing this problem in a new design. $1275 in labor is NOT reasonable.

    5: I own a Prius too. A friend of mine is shopping for a hybrid and is looking at the new Cmax. I like Ford, but what do you expect me to tell my friend? Should I tell them Ford is committed to their hybrid products, or that Ford hybrids fail after 60k miles and Ford is hidding behind fine print to get out of the warrenty? (My Prius has 125k miles and has worked flawlessly)

    At the end the CSR's tone changed from defensive let-me-read-you-the-fine-print to very warm & friendly 'sorry you are having a problem, we appreciate you as a customer'. She asked a bunch of detail questions, entered it into her computer, 'escalated it' and gave me a case number.

    Next step is I should expect a call from either the Service Manager at the dealer or a Service Manager who works for Ford's corporate offfice within the next 3-4 days...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Update: I just called my Service Advisor back and told him FORD escalated it. He didn't skip a beat. He just said "Okay. I'll tell my service manager to look for the case number."

    I told him I didn't want to authorize the work until we get this sorted out and asked if there was a storage charge for keeping the car.

    I don't want to take the car back, so they can't claim I damaged the battery by continuing to drive it. Also, leaving it there puts it on the 'problem list' and reminds them to deal with it.

    Hopefully this won't drag out, but $1600 pays for several weeks worth of car rental....

    If it gets ugly, the next step is to take it up with www.autorepair.ca.gov. Or maybe I'll just ask the Sales Manager if he things the BAR would be able to help resolve the dispute.

    Fortunately my dealer is in the middle of silicon valley and sells a lot of hybrids. They have a big 'hybrid headquarters' banner out front, so I'm hoping the service manager won't be a hybrid hater. (like some of the pick-up truck & canned beer crowd can be :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spoke to the 'Service Manager' today. He claims the warranty covereage is programed into the computer by Ford's corporate types and it's out of his hands.

    He did promise to email his contact at Ford. Right now I'm assuming it's a programming error in their computers, and not actual corporate evil...

    Here is a site where Ford explains how well tested and reliable their batteries are, and you can see the fans that failed in the picture of the FEH battery. So there is no question it's part of the battery.

    http://www.hybridcars.com/10-years-and-150000-miles-test-fords-ev-batteries-67399

    I also told them to do the work, so I get my car back. If I have to I'll pay for it and sue them in small claims court to recover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So what ever happened? I just had to have the door actuator and fans replaced on a used Mariner I just bought. Ford wanted $400 for the parts and $700 labor to fix, 7 hrs labor they said. I purchased parts direct from ford on-line for $330 and had a local mechanic who works with hybrids replace fans and door actuator in 1.5 hrs $150....

      Delete