Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Oil change and tire rotation.

122,436 miles.

Capitol Expressway Ford in San Jose.

Back again to Capitol Ford for the oil change and tire rotation. These guys continue to do a great job with this service, and even wash the vehicle too. Total was $41.91 out the door. This time I took their free shuttle to/from the shop.

They noted that the engine and cabin air filters are dirty (I'll look into changing them shortly), the 12V under-hood battery has some corrosion on it (it's been five years and 60kmi, although the battery looks fine to me), and they identified the fluid leak as AC compressor oil.

I had thought I had a small coolant leak, as every so often there would be a small drip under the front right of the vehicle, but the coolant never looked or measured low. So apparently it's AC oil, something new for me as this is the first vehicle I've owned with a functioning AC system. The service advisor proceeded to freak me out suggesting they should replace the AC compressor and flush the system, which sounded really expensive, even just a diagnosis would be $150+. I actually told him to go ahead with the diagnosis, but ended up needing to pick up the car before they finished. Lucky for me, as I ended up spending less than half that price on an AC recharge kit from O'Reilly's!

I read some helpful articles online which said the best thing you can do for your AC is to use it. The seal around the compressor shaft can get dry and shrink up if it is not "exercised regularly". I hadn't noticed the AC being warm, it still felt cold to me. After putting in a can of PAG 46 oil and another of refrigerant, I couldn't tell a significant difference, but my wife said it definitely felt colder to her. I ducked under the front of the vehicle and knowing now what to look for I could tell the leak was coming from the shaft/pulley end of the compressor, not the hose/fittings end. So it seems like this was just a small shaft-seal leak, and knowing me it easily could have been from not using the AC "often enough".

I wiped off the bottom of the compressor and haven't seen the drips return. I will continue to use the AC fairly regularly to ensure things keep running well!

No comments:

Post a Comment