Monday, November 26, 2018

New Headlight Bulbs.

143,284 miles.

Over the Thanksgiving long weekend I noticed that the driver side headlight had gone out. I have never changed these bulbs, so I assume these were the original headlights. They lasted 10 years and over 140k miles.

In searching for a replacement I wanted something slightly brighter than stock, but still with a decent lifespan. I considered moving to LED headlights, but the good ones all looked a bit too complicated and more expensive than I wanted to mess with. By way of the excellent website bulbfacts.com, I selected the Philips Vision Plus 9008/H13 halogen bulbs (with "up to +60% more vision"!), and ordered a set for $30.50 from Amazon.com.

Installation was relatively quick but far more difficult than the online videos make it seem. The original bulbs were very tough to remove! They were really stuck in there and I could not rotate them by hand. I had to use a set of vise-grips to break them loose. Once that was done, the swap was straightforward. The passenger side bulb is easier to get your hands on, but I was able to replace the driver side without removing or disconnecting the battery.

Here's a photo showing the old Sylvania bulb next to the Philips replacement:



No comments:

Post a Comment